Here are 20 items that are highly recommend before listing your home for sale.
1. Edge, mow and fertilize the lawn. Reseed sparse areas. Curb appeal is the first thing home buyers see as they drive up to the home.
2. Trim hedges, weed lawns and flowerbeds, and prune trees. Cut back overgrown shrubbery from the house at least 1 ft.
3. Power-wash the exterior. Including driveways, back patios, decks and sidewalks.
4. Clean and align gutters and downspouts; clean the chimney and add a screen to the top of the chimney if its exposed. Prevents birds and rain from getting in.
5. Remove oil stains from driveway and garage. Keep walks and driveway swept or free of ice.
6. Wash the windows inside and out. This is very important if you have views like... lake, city, mountain or territorial. Home buyers love to see the outside from the inside of the home.
7. Hire a cleaning service to thoroughly clean the interior. Everyone likes to walk into a clean home, free of smells, stains, and debris.
8. Paint the walls and ceilings off white or beige. The more neutral the home the better your chances are to attract a home buyer vs having your wall colors custom to your taste.
9. Repair cracks, holes and damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paint, and tiles.
10. Replace damaged windowpanes, moldings and woodwork.All this adds up to a home buyer and starts to come across as "beat or worn".
11. Repair drippy faucets and shower heads. Unclog slow drains. Better to do this now vs later as a good inspector will call this out.
12. Shampoo carpets, scrub and wax linoleum or wood floors. Home buyers are allergic to pet dander, food smells and smoke (like burned candles). By removing this from the equation you're ahead.
13. Clean out the fireplace and lay some logs, candles, mirror, or leave it empty.
14. Mend torn screens. Clean out all window tracks as it shows "pride of ownership".
15. Replace burned-out light bulbs. Use brighter light bulbs.
16. Re-nail creaking boards or stairs; lubricate squeaking doors. Home buyers want to feel like the house is more like a home.
17. Clean all appliances (especially refrigerator and oven). Make sure that your food in the refrigerator is clean and organized. Try to limit the amount of food in the refrigerator. Home buyers want to see the space and depth of the refrigerator.
18. Replace old toilet seats and shower curtains. Especially if they have stains or worn out.
19. Clear all cobwebs from corners and doorways a sign of a clean home.
20. Wash all light switches, handrails, doorknobs, banisters, doors, and trim around the door frames. This is what many home buyers see throughout the home.
Inquire about what we offer to our sellers complimentary when selling their home.